Sunday, October 1, 2017

Day 5 - Normandy Beach and Mont St-Michel

After Bayeux it was time to get to Normandy beach. I can't say enough about how much I love driving through France and looking at all the old churches, homes, and buildings.
One of my greatest desires in my adult years has been to visit Normandy and see where our troops landed on D-Day in World War II. Because we were short on time, we decided to just visit The American Cemetery and Memorial and Omaha Beach. My emotions were right there at the surface and neither the rain, which had started up again, or the freezing cold was going to ruin this experience for me.  I must admit I got a little teary-eyed when I saw this quote at the entrance.
On June 8, 1944, the U.S. First Army established the temporary cemetery, the first American cemetery on European soil in World War II.  After the war, the present day cemetery was established a short distance from the original site. Like all other overseas American cemeteries in France for World War I and II, France has granted the United States a special, perpetual concession to the land occupied by the cemetery, free of charge or any tax. The U.S. flag flies over these granted soils and it was Americans who checked us into the Visitors Center.
"The success of the Operation Overlord depended upon the competence, courage, and sacrifice of millions - military and civilian alike." The lobby of the Visitors Center introduced these three major themes, linking each of them to a personal story.


While I was looking at these particular displays, I realized that I was in the way of a man trying to take pictures. I quickly moved out of the way and said, "I'm sorry!" This older gentleman looked at me, smiled, and said, "That's ok, you're an American." I smiled back. Yes, I am, and dang proud of it!
On the lower level of the Visitor Center we watched a short film that focused on five individual soldiers who landed at Normandy. At one point in the film a French historian spoke of how amazing it was for these young men from the United States to travel thousands of miles and sacrifice so much for people they didn't even know. Yes, I definitely started crying at that point. The film was wonderful and really brought the soldiers to life for us.
"The center allows us to better tell the courageous and inspiring story of those buried at Normandy American Cemetery. The center provides a fuller array of visitor services to put the D-Day landings in perspective as one of the greatest military achievements in history." Throughout the center are personal stories of participants and a mix of narrative text, photos, films, interactive displays, and artifacts that all portray the competence, courage, and sacrifice of Allied forces.
Reading the extended timeline of dates and events of D-Day within the course of global conflict.
After checking out all the exhibits, we walked through a sloping corridor where we listened to the names of those buried in the cemetery. We then entered the Sacrifice Gallery, a bright space surrounded by powerful stories etched into glowing glass panels. Once again I felt so connected to each person whose story was shared. It was truly a powerful experience walking through that room
The four brothers that the movie Saving Private Ryan is based on.
After the Visitors Center, we headed outside. The cemetery is located on a bluff overlooking Omaha Beach and the English Channel.
This orientation table depicts the landings in Normandy.
The names of 1,557 Americans who lost their lives in the Normandy campaign but could not be located and/or identified are inscribed on the walls of a semicircular garden at the east side of this memorial.
At the center is this 22-foot bronze statue entitled The Spirit of American Youth Rising From the Waves.
At either end of the memorial are maps and narratives of the military operations.
Looking out at the reflecting pool, the mall with burial areas to either side, and the circular chapel beyond.
The flowers that line the reflecting pool are given by the people of Normandy who, although the Allied invasion took place several generations ago, have not forgotten what the British, Canadian, and American troops and their families sacrificed during World War II.
"We Remember"
We spent time wandering among the sea of headstones and paid close attention to names, home states, and the dates of death that were inscribed on each of them. All the crosses face the west, towards America. 
The chapel.
Later, when my mom asked me what I felt as I walked here on this sacred ground, I told her that I felt such amazing peace. And pride - pride in our country and in our soldiers who gave their lives to free Europe. I'm so grateful for the time we got to spend here.
Next we headed down to Omaha Beach, the place where The Allies lost the majority of their troops. We were at the spot where Easy Red came up.
It's such a quiet, beautiful spot that it's hard to imagine the horrific toll of that long ago day.
As I looked out at the ocean, I tried to envision the big warships out there, the small water craft coming up, and the obstacles all over the beach. I still get teary-eyed over my time there, just seeing these pictures.
There were still some German bunkers up on the hill so we spent some time exploring them.
This would have been the Germans' view of the beach from this particular bunker.

A memorial to "The officers and men of the first United States Infantry Division who were killed fighting for the liberation of the world."
This memorial is located on what was one of the strongest defending positions on Omaha Beach. And don't I look absolutely frozen?  I was!

Driving away and seeing those gorgeous yellow fields!

We decided to add Mont Saint-Michel to our day because David insisted it wasn't too far away. As we drove I saw so many signs for other D-Day stuff and I vowed to myself that one day I would make it back here and really immerse myself in it. The other thing I spotted on our drive that fascinated me was the white cows!
We finally reached Mont Saint-Michel around 8:00 that evening but thank goodness it stays light out so we could still admire it. We had to take a shuttle out to a spot where everyone gets dropped off and then walks onto the island. While waiting in the shuttle, David looked up how long it was going to take to drive back to Paris. This is Josh's face when David announced it would be a 3 hour drive! I don't think anyone was very happy with the news.
Due to the late time and the incessant rain, we decided to just ride the shuttle, get out and take a few pictures, and then get right back on the shuttle and get back to Paris. So that's what we did. But once again, after looking at this amazing island topped with a medieval monastery, I vowed to come back one day and spend time there.
Stunning!
We ended up eating dinner at a nearby restaurant before our long drive home. Despite repeated bad experiences with ordering steak, Josh ordered a steak which, as I predicted and warned him, turned out to be almost inedible. My roast chicken, however, was delicious! The drive back to Paris was long and rainy but Josh was a trooper. He talked almost the entire way back and we all tried to stay awake for his sake. I had no problem staying awake because the whole ride home I was absolutely freezing! It had been such a cold, wet day and I just could not get warm. Josh ran the heat for a couple of minutes but Lenae, who still wasn't feeling well, complained she was too hot and even rolled down the window at one point. I seriously thought my toes were going to snap off because of how frozen they were.
As we drove into Paris we thought Josh would have a chance to drive around the Arc de Triomphe.  I could tell he was gearing up for this adventure as we got closer and closer.
Right before we got there, maps had us turn and Josh never got his opportunity to drive around one of the craziest roundabouts in the world! We got the rental car turned back in and arrived back to the hotel around 1:30. It was a long day but it was a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment