Saturday, March 29, 2014

Conowingo Dam

Savannah and I are always up for a field trip and going on one with friends is even better. Savannah's best friend Kaia is also homeschooled and her mom invited Savannah and I to join their family as well as a few others on a trip to the Conowingo Dam. We've driven over the dam many a time so I figured it would be interesting to get inside and see how it all works!
Ready to start our learning adventure!
In one of the front rooms was a collection of pictures of the beautiful bald eagles that can be seen at the dam throughout the year. Every year amateur as well as professional photographers come out to the dam to try and capture the birds' beauty on film. The winning photos receive prize money as well as a place on this display. I told Savannah we'll have to come back to spend an afternoon just watching those gorgeous birds. (We actually spotted one on our way out but I couldn't get a good picture of it because it was behind too many branches.)
A hard hat and goggles were must-haves for the tour. Too cute!
And the tour begins. We went all over that place, receiving great info from our top notch guide. Unfortunately most of the information we received was way over our heads and out the door. Both Savannah and I agreed that the tour was too long and way boring. So we're not engineers...no surprise there!!
The homeschoolers!
The coolest thing about the tour was all the turkey vultures that hang around. I loved watching them! We found plenty of small bird carcasses and bird parts around outside to keep us entertained.
There's the dam!
I wish I had a close up of Savannah's face in this picture - pure boredom written all over that cute face!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Sorry it was so boring! I never asked Bente how it went. That being said, if you could somehow photoshop out the hat and glasses from that picture of Savannah in front of the dam, you'd have a gorgeous picture of your gorgeous daughter!

    ReplyDelete