Monday, August 15, 2016

Our Final Day!

Friday morning we hit downtown to do a little sightseeing and shopping!
I don't remember what this building was but it was important.
I obviously need to take some notes because I'm sure this guy was important too but I don't remember why.
We met up with some friendly policeman though Pete did have a little run-in with a cop later. We can't take Pete anywhere!
The pirate thing...
and enjoying some ice cream.
We saw quite a few colorful get ups!
And the gift shops were quite entertaining as well.
As we walked through the local booths I was blown away by the amazing woodcarvings. I purchased a small turtle for my collection but would have loved to have taken home one of these snakes. Too bad they were way out of my price range!
On our way back to the hotel we sat next to some older couples who were heading to a fish fry and they told us we really should give it a try. All week we had heard about these famous fish fries from David's coworkers so we thought, "Hey, we're in the Bahamas, it's one of the things they're famous for...let's do it!" So off we got and we found ourselves a little restaurant. Of course the big thing at these fish fries is their conch and the workers at the restaurant were more than happy to show us the whole process of preparing it.
All I can say is the sight of all these shells next to the restaurant's deck and the smells that came along with it might have been what ruined the eating of conch for me.
Here's the conch shell...
and there's the conch, about to be torn from its home and cut into small pieces.
Of course the conch  has some clear spaghetti like piece in it that is supposedly an aphrodisiac that this guy was only too eager to swallow whole. (Insert throwing up emoji)
Breaded and fried, ready to be eaten. David had no problem, me and Les refused;
Have to hand it to Pete, he gave it a shot. But his face says it all!
The fish fry wasn't spectacular but we did enjoy just trying something new and being with friends in the Bahamas. Really can't complain.
We spent the afternoon on the beach, of course! Had to soak up as much beach time as we could since we would be heading home the next day.
The beautiful sunset view from our room.
That night was the Awards Banquet.
After munching on appetizers, guzzling down Shirley Temples, mingling, and dinner,  it was time for awards!
His cool cup filled with Swedish Fish. Yes! So proud of my hardworking guy!

I'm so grateful that we got to go on this wonderful trip together!

No comments:

Post a Comment