Monday, June 4, 2018

A Night in Bethlehem Christmas Party

For years I've been telling David we should do something more for the ward Christmas party, something like a Christmas in Bethlehem or a Pioneer Christmas. He finally decided to go for it and of course I ended up on the party committee. The other ward also decided to do the same thing so we all shared the planning and work, which was A LOT, but it was well worth it. The entrance into Bethlehem:
and we turned the gym into this:
There were so many little touches that added so much!
As ward members arrived, they were greeted by Roman soldiers who collected their "taxes" (items that would be donated to the local shelter).
They would then stop at the local markets to pick up food...
and then everyone headed into the gym where there were tables to eat at or they could spread their blankets on the floor to enjoy their meal.
We got to meet the new missionary, Elder Steenblik.
There were tents set up that had different activities for the kids and families - they could play the dreidel game, color, or write their name or favorite scripture in Hebrew.
After eating and enjoying the fun activities available in Bethlehem, there was a special program that started with the young women singing.
We then had the nativity story acted out for us, following Mary and Joseph on their journey that special night. Our narrators -
Mary and Joseph being turned away from the inn...
the shepherds coming to see the baby Jesus...
and the wise men.
They all did a great job and it turned out to be the most wonderful Christmas party yet!
Posing with my partners in crime! The hashtag was for all the inside jokes we came up with in the weeks preceding the party. #lepercolony and #drapeydrape will always be my favorites!
Love this picture of my family! I still can't believe I was able to keep that scarf on my head the entire night!
My cute kids!

The hardest thing about this night was literally three hours before it began I was shopping for some last minute items for the party and I got a phone call from David saying he had just been laid off. I was in shock but I couldn't rush home to comfort him, I just had to keep shopping and get to the church to prepare. David was not feeling up to going to the party and I just told him to stay home, that I would let everyone know he wasn't feeling well, which he most definitely was not. But he decided to come and it ended up being a perfect way to get our minds off what had just happened to our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment