Monday, April 8, 2019

The Underground Railroad Museum

We decided to take advantage of the kids having spent the night at the Clarks and headed into downtown Cincinnati to the Underground Railroad museum.
I didn't really enjoy the first part of the museum but once we got into the historical part, it was fascinating!
This display of trade beads and cowrie shells commemorating the African people who lost their lives during the Middle Passage was absolutely beautiful.
There were some really cool interactive exhibits for younger children.
Learning about the hunted slave.
One of my favorite exhibits was the Gallery of Leaders.
I've always thought the KKK hood and robes are so scary looking; so evil!
Powerful artwork depicting the slave auction.
An actual holding building for slaves. It was found on a property in Germantown, Kentucky.

The influence of Harriet Beecher Stowe. Uncle Tom's Cabin remains one of my favorite books because she truly captures the deplorable nature of slavery in this country.
The candle in the window indicating it's a safe house for runaway slaves.
I love my brother! He caught me unawares!
It was such a wonderful morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment