Saturday, June 8, 2013

Muscial Concerts and Recitals

For two nights in a row our family attended musical events, the first being Savannah's Spring Concert for school. Savannah's skill on the violin has improved so much this past year!
We were also privileged to listen to the Eagle Time Chorus sing the songs they sung at the competition in Hershey that they won. They did a marvelous job and it was easy to see how they took first place. (Please excuse the "Children of the Corn" eyes.)
Savannah with one of her favorite teachers, Mr. Flottemesch, who happened to be there at the recital, supporting the students.  He has been Savannah's gym teacher all the years she has been in elementary school and will be retiring at the end of this year.
The next night was a nerve-racking event for me - my first piano recital in over 20 years. I have been taking piano lessons since last September and somehow got away with not participating in the Christmas recital. I didn't get so lucky this time around; despite my begging and pleading, my teacher said I MUST play.
  The theme of the recital was Music Through the Ages and was a nice showcase of many different composers throughout history. The green ribbon that Savannah and I wore represented the time period of our composers, the Classical Period.
Here's a perfect example of why I take the pictures. David didn't want to get out of his seat to take a picture of Savannah announcing her pieces, thus the "head" picture. At least he got a nice shot of Catherine Washburn and the piano!
Savannah played two pieces, Plaisir d'Amour and Divertimento in D by Martini. She did a great job!
My piece was Ballade by Burgmuller. I don't really remember playing other than at the very beginning my nervous energy came out strong and I made a mistake right at the get go. The only other tough moment came about midway through when my fingers started to shake really bad due to my nervousness. Thank goodness I was able to calm myself down, concentrate, and finish!
All the recital players!
I am so glad that Savannah and I could be in this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment