Friday, April 10, 2015

The Frozen Tundra

Apparently some time in January I moved to the Arctic and didn't know it.  No joke, this winter has definitely been the coldest we've had since we've lived in Maryland the past 10 years. We bundled up for multiple days of negative temperatures; we even had church cancelled several Sundays in a row due to either snow, ice, or freezing cold temps! The kids had a bunch of snow days once again and we didn't venture out a whole lot due to dangerous road conditions. More than anything else it's the ice that makes me extremely nervous but even I can admit it sure is beautiful to look at.
I had to be extremely cautious as I walked across our front lawn to grab a few pictures because it sure was slippery. It was amazing to see the ice break beneath my feet!
One afternoon after an ice storm I opened up the back door to take some pictures of the back yard and when I turned around there on the floor behind me was my sweet cat Googie. He had seen a chance and took it, racing in and then reveling in the warmth of the house and the softness of the carpet.
He stretched and rolled back and forth for several minutes and then looked at me as if to say, "What?" Poor Googie, he's always trying to be an indoor cat and just can't figure out why I won't let him. When I went to pick him up and put him outside he became a dead weight, hoping he would be too heavy to lift. That cat!
Not only did we get several ice storms but we got plenty of snow once again!
One afternoon I decided to go out for a walk and take some pictures of the beautiful snowy landscape.  Someone else had decided to go for a walk as well!
I met up with Savannah after awhile who reluctantly became my "snowy afternoon" model.
She's so easy to work with...she even did snow angels for me.
Snow at night is always so beautiful...
and the kids loved to just sit and watch it fall.

By the end of March everyone was pretty much done with all the cold weather. Spring and warmer weather can't come soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment