Thursday, April 2, 2015

One of Those Mornings

One January morning before school Xander and I were in my room talking when we heard Noah go into the bathroom, shut and lock the door, and turn on the sink. I could hear him talking to himself in a weird voice but thinking that he was just playing I didn't pay it much mind. After about 5 minutes I asked Xander what he thought Noah was doing but we just kept on talking. After another few minutes Noah came into the room and exclaimed, "I'm so sorry, Mom! I'm so sorry!" I looked at him, not comprehending what the problem was until I saw that he was holding his hand and his thumb was gone. Well, that's what it looked like at first; there was blood gushing all over his thumb, so much so that that the tip was completely red and looked like it was a little stump. I quickly jumped up and hurried him into the bathroom to run water on it, hoping to see a thumb...and there it was. The slice was at the very top and no matter what I did, the blood kept gushing. Of course it was right before it was time to leave for the bus so I hurried Xander out to our neighbor to get a ride with her, called David who was at the gym, and grabbed a cloth to wrap Noah's finger as we waited for David to get home. Noah then explained to me that he had been examining Xander's pocket knife and as he went to push the blade down it had sliced right through his thumb. Sounds like someone pushed down on the wrong side! Once David got home and took a look at it we decided to head off to Urgent Care. Noah was extremely concerned about what was going to happen but we assured him that everything would be okay. He was still skeptical and it was not an easy ride there.
But once we got there he seemed to perk up a bit and enjoyed checking out all the neat doctor office stuff.
But then we waited...
and waited some more.
The wait got to be so long that I climbed up on the bed and curled up next to Noah hoping to get a little nap. Of course that's when the doctor finally made an appearance. After checking out Noah's thumb he said that it could use a few stitches but to do that he would have to go through the nail of the thumb which might be more painful than the injury itself. He suggested that if it was his kid he would just steri-strip it together and bandage it up...so that's what we did. The nurse was so sweet with Noah and he was such a little trooper through the whole ordeal.
A much happier little guy. I mean, who doesn't want a huge cool bandage and battle wound to show off to friends?

Hopefully Noah has learned not to play around with pocket knives anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment