Thursday, January 26, 2017

Our Googs

These two were an answer to this girl's prayers. She told me for several months that she wanted cats and then one day, boom, out of the woods came these two little kitties with their mom. They were feral and would spaz out if we came near them. After a couple weeks, when the kittens were probably about 3 months old, the mom took off and the kittens stayed. Over time, with lots of patience and love, Savannah was able to help them feel loved and wanted and we have had them ever since. Princess has always remained a little skittish but Googie was full of love for all of us.  He loved to be pet and held and cuddled and was one of the sweetest cats I've ever known.  Yes, I am using past tense for a reason - we last saw our sweet Googs in May.  He had been spending a lot of time away from home this spring, only showing up every couple of days to eat and say hello.  He just wasn't himself.  I took him to the vet twice to get injuries and bites taken care of but he continued to look more scruffy, like he wasn't taking care of himself, and he was a bit less inclined to cuddle with us.  The last time I saw him he was sleeping on one of the deck chairs.; I wish now I had gone out and given him some kisses. We all definitely miss our Googs!
One of my favorite afternoons with him. He found this dead snake and had a ball throwing it around.
He was named Googs because of his goopy eyes. No matter what the vet did the goop just never seemed to clear up.
He was honestly such a sweet cat, even hanging out with all of Princess's kittens and playing with them. I couldn't find it but I have a picture of him sleeping with all of them in the bin, paws carefully around them and snuggling, while Princess was at the vet getting fixed. I've always thought that was such unusual behavior for a male cat but that was our Googs!
Smile for the camera!
Hangin' out with Savannah during her homeschooling days.
Googie wanted to be a house cat so badly. Any time we opened the back door he'd come running in, especially if the weather wasn't too great outside. He'd plop himself down on the carpet and stretch himself out, rolling all over, embracing the feel of just being inside. It always made me laugh.
The last picture I took of him, sometime in the spring. He and Princess are ready to eat!
There have been a lot of tears shed over his loss and even writing this post was difficult. The kids asked me where I think he is and I honestly told them that I think he passed away, hopefully peacefully. I think if he was still alive he would come see us. I did this little memorial of him because I never want to forget what a special cat he was and the joy he brought into our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment