Monday, January 13, 2014

Niners Game

The Niners have had another wonderful season, heading to the NFC championship game this Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks. One of the highlights of the season for me was the game against the Washington Redskins because David and I were there! With most pro-football games on Sunday as well as high ticket prices, I didn't think I would ever make it to a pro game. However, this year my beloved 49ers team played Washington in DC on a Monday night. We could just not pass up that golden opportunity to attend! I was so, SO excited to go that I made sure we left with plenty of time to spare. Savannah took a picture of us in our Niners gear before we headed off!
We had dinner near the stadium and then just sat in the stadium parking lot, watching all the tailgaters eating, drinking, and dancing around. We were quite surprised to see a lot of 49er fans hanging out as well. Finally the stadium opened and we headed in with the rest of the crowds. It was almost like we were at Candlestick Park in San Fran - I'd say half the fans in the stadium were Niners fans, much to the frustration of the Redskins fans. One Niners fan yelled out, "Who's got it better than us?" And the reply back was thunderous - "NOBODY!!!!"
Since this might be one of the only professional football games I ever attend, I wanted to make sure that I saw all the pregame warm ups. I made sure to take plenty of pictures of Kaepernick warming up since he's Savannah's favorite. Boy, is he ripped!
We checked out the Monday Night Football analysts table and got to see Ray Lewis and Steve Young. Steve was such a nice guy and headed over to sign hats and jerseys for all the Niners fans, of which, as I've mentioned, there were a ton.
Eventually both teams came out for their final pregame warm ups and I took tons of pictures of our favorite players...Kaepernick (for Savannah);
Eric Reid, whose jersey I have;
and Frank Gore for Xander.
The captains meeting midfield...
the National Anthem was sung...
and the game was underway. It was such a great game although it was extremely cold. But no rain or snow which was a definite plus!
So the temperature was probably in the low 20's, high teens, and both David and I, as well as every other person in the stadium, were as bundled up as we could possibly be. However, this guy on the Niners sideline, who must have grown up in the Arctic, felt comfortable hanging out in a short sleeved shirt - no jacket, no coat. David could not stop talking about him and wondered if he had lost some kind of bet or if he was just plain crazy! As you can see he's surrounded by players and coaches in huge jackets and winter hats.  It was freezing!!!
We had such a great time!
Final score, 27-6...the Niners come away with a win!
The players' prayer circle at the end of the game.

I am so grateful that we were able to go! What a fun night!

No comments:

Post a Comment