Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Memorial Day 2015

Wow! I'm really behind! Well, here goes - Memorial Day, 2015! Thank goodness one of the things we hung onto after the ward split was our fabulous Memorial Day Breakfast location at Capa Field. Noah wasn't too thrilled to be starting out the day so early; at least he had his stylin' outfit and socks to get him pumped for the day.
We were the first to arrive and guess what we found when we pulled up? A whole bunch of turkey vultures, just hanging out! It was awesome!
I jumped out of the car and tried to sneak up to them to get a closer look. However, as I passed the dumpster I was unaware that one of them was in it enjoying his breakfast. He startled me just as much as I must have startled him! As he flew out, coming extremely close to me, I screamed which prompted the other birds to take flight. They didn't go too far, however, landing on a nearby fence. Luckily I was able to get a little closer and get some amazing pictures!
My whole interaction with these beautiful birds absolutely made my day!
Noah trailed around after me as I took pictures, as fascinated with the vultures as I was. He was especially thrilled to find one of their feathers.
As Noah and I were bird watching, others were arriving and the breakfast cooking got under way.
David even had some additional helpers this year!
After frying up some sausage, Savannah took a quick break to play beach ball volleyball with some of her friends.
And then the eating got underway. Noah hung out with Melissa Hardy...too funny! She is super cool, though.
Savannah found her church bestie!
Noah was quite the busy man this morning. After enjoying breakfast, he headed over to the sand pit to dig a bit with friends;
then he joined up with the primary children to sing a beautiful patriotic song for all of us;
and then he and I took a stroll down to the water together.
That kid loves to get wet!
In the meantime, Savannah and Xander were off with the older kids playing soccer.
And of course, what would the Memorial Day Breakfast be without a water fight?
Let the spraying begin!
Completely soaked and loving it!
We were one of the last to leave, as usual. After lunch and a few hours of downtime we headed back out for our traditional Memorial Day softball game and cookout.
Swing, batter!
Savannah and her best girlies!
David got serious...
and hit a homer!
Favorite moments from the softball game: 8 months pregnant Sena Mussetter chasing down her husband to tag him out when he overran 3rd base and Eden Edwards catching her husband's pop fly to get him out. What a fun time!
 Xander always enjoys all the good food!
Another great Memorial Day! It's easily become one of our family's favorite holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment