Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The Championship Game

Xander's championship game just had to fall on one of the coldest nights we'd seen since the previous winter but at least it was held at Edgewood High School which we consider home field.
Getting pumped before the game!
My Xander is easy to pick out with his long sleeve white shirt!
Well, I don't know what was talked about during this half time huddle but I know it can't have been good. The other team was up several touchdowns at this point and we hadn't scored at all. First downs were rare for us. We were simply being outplayed!
Those were the only game time photos I got. We ended up losing 35-0. I know our guys were extremely bummed but, as the coach of the other team put it at the awards ceremony after the game, our team was never even expected to make it to the championship game. We had moved up a division so we were discounted; everyone had predicted a rematch between this other team and Fallston who had apparently battled it out in the championship game the previous year. Kudos to our boys for playing tough all year, for never giving up, and for believing in each other.
Each of the boys received a trophy...
we had one last talk by Coach Coolahan...
and then we took some final pictures. It was definitely an emotional night; not only had we lost but this was the last time these boys would be playing together as a team. It has been such an amazing and fun team to be a part of and I will truly miss hangin' with these parents and cheering on our boys.
The players shared one last huddle together and there were a few tears shed.
Xander and some of his teammates.
Thomas, Xander's quarterback that he has tried to protect for the past three years.
A few last encouraging and complementary words from his coach.
I have to admit I'm so sad that this part of Xander's life is over. At least I have high school football to look forward to because I love watching my X-man play!

No comments:

Post a Comment