Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Our New House

I had scheduled another appointment with the building company when I was out in Cincinnati for our second visit to review different paints, cabinets, carpets, fixtures, and things like that. They still didn't have a plot available that we loved but we were hoping something would open up in the next few weeks and that we would have a new house by spring/summer 2021. However, Heavenly Father had a better plan for us. 
While floating around in Heidi's pool the first day we got there, I was thinking about a new house and the thought came into my head to ask Heidi if she knew any realtors, that maybe I should see if there were any homes for sale in the area that I could look at. It just so happened that the lady who lives behind her is the realtor that sold Heidi and Ryan their house in Franklin. Ryan got in touch with her, I chose 4 homes on Zillow to go look at, and we had our appointments to see these existing homes on Saturday afternoon, right after my appointment with the builders. 
Heidi, Xander, and I checked out the first two homes, which weren't great. As we were standing in the kitchen of the second one, Morgan told me that she was more than happy to take me to the last two I had selected but she wanted to warn me that these homes were in another county and the property taxes were extremely high. I had no interest in seeing them after that so was just planning to go back to Heidi's when Morgan said there was a home in Heidi's neighborhood that had just listed that day and wondered if I'd like to go see it. She said that it was a low price for the neighborhood because it was somewhat dated but the bones of the house were really good. It was also a bit above the price we were looking for but it never hurts to just go look, right? 
As we pulled into the driveway and I got my first look of the house, I fell in love! And as we walked in, I just knew that this house was supposed to be mine. Yes, it was dated and there were little things here and there that would need to be fixed, but I thought it was absolutely beautiful and so me. My favorite was the front porch and the back yard was HUGE!!! The best thing? It was right around the corner from Heidi's. Well, we went back to Heidi's and for the rest of the afternoon and into the evening I just could not get that house out of my mind. When David and I talked about it earlier we had both agreed that it was too expensive but the more and more I thought about it, the more I felt like we should go for it. Heidi and I went and looked at it one more time Sunday morning and then David and I put in our offer. What an amazing man David is; I face timed him so he could see it but he was so willing to just buy it despite never setting foot in it.
By Sunday night there was one other buyer and the bidding war had started. I was starting to get super nervous about the cost even though David insisted that if I worked, we'd be just fine. The owners were willing to go with our offer over the other couple because they had been told we had family in the neighborhood. But when the moment came, I just couldn't do it and we said we were out. I was so disappointed, Xander even more so.
The next day I headed down to my parents to hang out for a bit. I told my Dad about our "house buying" adventure. He balked at the price as well but we decided to sit in the family room and crunch numbers. As he told me that with the interest rates so low that we definitely could afford it if I got a job, my heart just sank. I had thought I was making the smart decision financially when I had really just been scared and ignored what I was feeling. I was devastated and over the next few days, as I returned home and was faced with the reality that I had given up this amazing opportunity, A LOT of tears were shed.
Thursday night David and I were sitting on our bed with the TV on, both of us looking at things on our phone, when we both received the text from Morgan: the buyers had backed out and the house was going back on the market. Did we want it? YES, YES, YES!!!
From that moment everything went into super speed as we prepared to move to Ohio into my dream home and be closer to my family which I had wanted for so many years. It was going to be so hard to leave Maryland but I knew that Heavenly Father had answered my prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment