Friday, January 12, 2018

Sav's BDay and a Trip to the Lake

June 14th and my sweet girl turned 15 years old! Boy, has time just flown by!
Because we were heading down to Deep Creek for a few days, we had Savannah open all her presents in the morning.
I know she was disappointed because she's not much of a reader but I'm convinced that eventually I'll find a series she likes.
She was pretty excited about her other gifts, though.
Savannah's taste in music runs closer to David's than mine. Who knew she would love The Rolling Stones so much?!?
At least we've raised her right in this regard.
Around noon we loaded up the car and headed on our way to Deep Creek! We were so excited to have the Pierces visiting us and were looking forward to our cabin getaway with them.
We've driven past Cumberland on our way to Cincinnati a number of times and, to be honest, I've always considered it a little rundown and dirty looking but apparently it has some history to it that Dave and Jackie wanted to stop and check out. We wandered around looking at the historical markers that outline Cumberland's key role as a road, railroad, and canal junction in the 19th century. During its more than 200 years of existence, Cumberland has been a military fort, the origin point of America's first highway, the termination point of a monumental federal construction project, a western gateway to the Ohio River Valley, the processing center for rich coal fields, and a primary link on one of America's most successful railroads.
Cumberland was also an outpost of Colonel George Washington during the French and Indian War and his first military headquarters were built here.
We wandered around for a bit, checking things out...
but Noah got nervous crossing the bridge and then, after we ran into what the kids called "a hobo convention", we decided it was time to wrap things up in Cumberland.
Of course, we had to fight our way out of there.
And the kids had to get some last minute goofiness out of their system by pushing each other around.
And then there was the little knick-knack store that Jackie had to visit. The kids loved the store's outhouse!
But eventually we made it back on the road and finally made it to Deep Creek Lake!
As we were driving down the little road to our cabin, I saw some turtles alongside the road. Noah and I quickly jumped out of the car to show them some love. Noah found this little guy...
but I had never seen this kind of turtle before. I was soon to find out it was a snapping turtle!
Looking at this picture now makes me sick to my stomach in light of what happened later that evening. I would NEVER have let Noah get so close to that thing if I had known how dangerous they can be.
Ugh! I allowed him to touch it!
I really should have clued in after the thing opened its mouth and hissed at us.
Just outside our cabin Noah ran into a bear!
Our home for the next two days.
The kids quickly made themselves right at home.
After settling in we drove around the area. What a beautiful place!
I loved the little dark cloud surrounded by normal ones.
Then it was back to the cabin for dinner and cupcakes to celebrate Savannah's birthday!
The kids couldn't wait to get into the hot tub.
While they were hanging out in there, David and I decided to take an evening walk, just the two of us. What a gorgeous evening and place to be together.
Beaver work!
Down by the water it was so peaceful and calm.
Love being with my guy!
On the walk back to the cabin we came across a snapping turtle on the side of the road. I bent down to talk to him for a bit and then decided to feed him a flower. As I held the flower towards him, he opened his mouth and started swaying back and forth. I thought he was hungry for the flower so I leaned it a little closer to his mouth...and that's when it happened. Seriously, that thing had ninja moves! He head came straight at me, quick as lightning, and he bit me! I screamed and flung that turtle, who was still attached to my finger, as far as I could.  He went flying down the road and landed on his back. I am lucky he didn't bite my finger off!  David, my most sympathetic husband, came walking over and asked me why I would do something so dumb. Yes, my husband has always been one overflowing in sympathy. He went over to the turtle to flip him over and the thing tried to bite him as well. As we walked back to the cabin, my finger was totally bloody and it started to hurt so bad. I was so embarrassed so we just went in the bathroom and cleaned it up without telling anyone what had happened. From the picture it doesn't look like much but there was a huge cut on one finger and a slight gash on my thumb. I texted Ryan to get reassurance that I didn't need some kind of shot but all I got from him was how had I allowed one of the slowest moving creatures on the earth to bite me (obviously he hasn't seen a snapping turtle in action) and that I would probably die. For the rest of the trip we avoided all snapping turtles!
That evening we enjoyed a fire and some smores!
Happy Birthday wishes from Grandma and Grandpa Schaeffer!
Such a fun birthday for this cute girl!

Savannah's Favorites at 15-
     Food: Pasta
     Movie:  Before I Fall
     TV Show:  Buffy the Vampire Slayer
     Fruit: Watermelon
     Vegetable: Broccoli
     Sport:  Soccer
     Animal:  Lion
     Book:  Falling Kingdom Series
     Holiday:  Christmas
     Candy:  Dark Chocolate or Nestle Crunch
     Dessert:  Anything
     Restaurant:  Taco Bell
     Scripture Hero:  Captain Moroni
     Temple:  Washington DC
     Wants To Be:  Homicide Detective

No comments:

Post a Comment