Sunday, August 12, 2018

"Mom, I Got Hurt"

One of the last Saturdays in April we were able to attend the temple with our friends the Hunters for their very first time. What an wonderful experience!
As I was heading back to the dressing room after the session, I got the strongest impression to check my phone. I NEVER look at my phone while I'm at the temple but I went ahead and pulled it out as soon as I went in to change. Seventeen texts were waiting for me, the first one being from Savannah saying, "Mom, I got hurt." That was it, no explanation, no details!  Savannah had a soccer game that morning but, since David and I needed to be at the temple, we had arranged for my neighbor, whose daughter also plays on the team, to take Savannah and provide me with updates as to how the game was going. Those other numerous texts were from this sweet neighbor that included tons of great pictures, Savannah's goal alert, and then all the information regarding the collision she had had with a girl on the other team. This was one of the rare games that neither David or I was at and of course Savannah had to get hurt!
A beautiful day to play soccer!
Some great shots of my girl!
And this is where it started. Savannah got the ball...
turned to head upfield toward the goal...
and met up with this girl. They both took a swing at the ball and wham! Savannah's ankle got the worst of the impact!
Savannah is super tough and has taken some extremely hard hits so when she stayed down, everyone knew it was serious. She told me later that she tried to get up but the pain was just too much.
She had to be carried off the field and later carried to the car. My neighbor and her husband carried Savannah into the house and got her situated on the couch. Shi apologized for going into my freezer to get a frozen package to put on her ankle (I assured her that was no big deal, ha ha) and she also had Noah run upstairs to get ibuprofen. Thank goodness for such great friends!
David has had multiple ankle injuries so assured me that we didn't need to take her in because it was just a bad sprain. As the day wore on, she was having to deal with more and more pain, not just in her ankle but her knee as well. I felt so bad for her. Noah did a good job of comforting her and keeping her company.
We are blessed with so many good friends! Not only Shi and Reed who took such great care of her after it happened, but Brother Brady from our ward, who is a PA, came over to check her out. From him we learned that not only did she have a severe ankle sprain but the pain and swelling in her knee was due to a quadricep strain with a little tearing in the tendon. Double whammie! Another friend lent us crutches and for the next several weeks Savannah was hobbling around school and activities dealing with the bummer news that this injury would keep her out of soccer for the next several months. One positive was she was able to start attending young women activities again, something soccer training had kept her from all spring...
and she didn't let it keep her from attending one of her friend's sweet sixteen party (though she did end up being pretty bored).
I finally got around to taking pictures of her ankle about a week and a half after it happened so the beautiful colors were starting to fade and the swelling had gone way down.

This was Savannah's first injury ever and it was a good one! What a blessing it was nothing worse, especially with us not having insurance at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment